Bettis Asphalt & Construction, Inc. is currently seeking a full-time Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Specialist. For over 40 years, Bettis Asphalt & Construction, Inc. has been a leading paving contractor based in Topeka, Kansas. Bettis Asphalt portfolio includes Highways, Streets, Airports, Office/Retail Centers, Large Industrial Parks, Banks, Hotels, Apartments, Restaurants, and Residential Developments. This position will provide project management and supervision to the EHS Program requirements in a construction environment, focused on Heavy Highway Civil Construction including earth moving equipment, bridge construction, surface mining, trucking, and concrete and asphalt operations.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The successful candidate will work with the EHS Manager in planning, developing and, administering an effective Environment, Health & Safety management program at several different sites. This position will include being able to execute the EHS program at the site level, and provide strategic guidance to employees on all EHS related issues.
- Coordinate and promote EHS programs and policies. This includes interpreting government and corporate EHS regulations and policies.
- Develop and deliver EHS training to employees, supervisors and managers.
- Prepare for, participate in and follow up on Safety Audits/Inspections.
- Ensure compliance with all pertinent environmental requirements, programs and regulations.
- Coordinate incident/injury investigations.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
Bachelor’s Degree in occupational health and safety or related degree. Internship or 1+ year experience preferred. Relocation to the area required, must live within 50 miles of Topeka, KS.
- Strong knowledge of environmental regulations specifically in Kansas.
- Experience in handling EHS compliance issues, including evaluating/interpreting MSHA, OSHA, EPA, KDHE, ATF and DOT regulations.
- Required skills include: strong communication, technical writing, training, analytical, time management and organizational skills.
- Must be self-driven; possess excellent interpersonal skills with all employee levels.
- Demonstrated commitment to safety.
- Ability to manage multiple on-going tasks to meet deadlines.
WHAT BETTIS OFFERS YOU
- Highly competitive base pay.
- The company will pay most of the “employee” health insurance plan provided by Blue Cross of Kansas.
- Company funded term life insurance.
- Group retirement savings program eligible after one year of service (2 enrollment periods per year – July 1 and January 1). The Company will contribute/match funds up to 4% of your total compensation into the 401K plan. The company may also contribute to a voluntary profit sharing plan based on the overall annual performance of the Company. Contributions to the profit sharing plan are at the discretion of the Company’s management.
- A company vehicle and fuel is provided.
- Two weeks paid vacation will be provided per year. Three weeks of paid vacation after five years of employment.
- Five days of sick leave will be provided annually.
- Paid holidays: New Year’s Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day.
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion.