Evergy – Kansas City, MO
The Lead Industrial Hygienist will review, evaluate, and analyze work environments and design programs, practices, and procedures to control, eliminate, and prevent disease or injury caused by chemical, physical, and biological agents. The Lead Industrial Hygienist may conduct assessments and advise the organization’s adherence to laws and regulations governing the health and safety of individuals. This position will serve as a technical resource with the Corporate Safety and Training Department. The Industrial Hygienist will be the key contact for all industrial hygiene programming matters and documentation. In addition, this position will steer the chemical approval process for the entire company.
Specific duties and responsibilities include
- Guide the compliance effort for all applicable industrial hygiene, health, and safety regulations as well as industrial hygiene-related standard of care.
- Develop the long-term strategy and manage all aspects of the Industrial Hygiene Program for the company.
- Assist with the development of industrial hygiene-related training.
- Assist operations and field safety functions with hazard assessment and control as well as assessment of compliance with health and safety regulations.
- Conduct sampling / monitoring of worker exposure to workplace health agents and management of same.
- Statistically analyze and interpret sampling data and maintain data electronically.
- Provide industrial hygiene field instrumentation maintenance.
- Maintain Evergy’s master inventory of chemical Safety Data Sheet records and chair/co-chair the Chemical Management Committee and associated chemical evaluation and approval process.
- Provide input on design of IH or safety-related capital projects.
- Coordinate all requirements for governmental reporting related to Industrial Hygiene
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Occupational Health & Safety / industrial hygiene-related degree program or related field. Master’s level preferred.
- Five-plus years industrial hygiene experience is preferred. Other relevant professional industrial hygiene experience will be considered.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities Required
- Speaking – Talking to others to convey information effectively.
- Writing – Communicating effectively in writing as appropriate for the needs of the target audience.
- Science – Applying scientific methods and rules to solve problems.
- Laws and regulations – Knowledge of association / governmental laws, regulations, and best practices for worker health and safety to be compliant.
- Industrial Hygiene Standard of Care – Knowledge of health exposure guidelines and current best-available principles and practices of the professional IH Standard of Care.
- Critical Thinking – Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions, or approaches to problems.
- Analytical Thinking – Analyzing information and data to logically address work-related health and safety issues.
- Attention to detail – Job requires accurate and consistent attention to detail and thoroughness in completing work tasks.
- Concern for others – Being sensitive to others’ needs and issues.
- Adaptability / Flexibility – Job requires being open to change (positive or negative) and considerable variety in the workplace. This includes travel to other facilities and working with various other job functions.
Licenses, Certifications, Bonding, and/or Testing Required
- Certification as an Industrial Hygienist by the Board for Global EHS Credentialing (formerly American Board of Industrial Hygiene) is preferred or a commitment to achieve the CIH designation.
Both office and field work required. Field work has the potential to be physically demanding.
Evergy has a clear mission – To empower a better future. Evergy chooses to live this mission by valuing People First. We know that to lead the responsible energy transition and provide affordable, reliable, and sustainable service to our customers and communities, we need a team with a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills. So, our goal is to be a diverse workforce that is representative of the communities we serve. We are committed to celebrating diversity and building a team where everyone – regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status – has a voice and can bring their best every day. We know that the more diverse and inclusive we are, the better we will be. Evergy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer.
The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.