When you’re part of the team at Thermo Fisher Scientific, you’ll do important work, like helping customers in finding cures for cancer, protecting the environment or making sure our food is safe. Your work will have real-world impact, and you’ll be supported in achieving your career goals.To support the implementation and ongoing management of an environmental, health and safety program for specific MBD-Lenexa sites, partnering with site management teams to advise on all relevant issues which affect the company, ensuring that the sites are legal compliant and are providing a safe place of work for employees with safe systems of work.
- Ensure that EHS measures are embedded on each site and that these measures are driving the appropriate behavior. Identify site specific circumstances requiring changes to the EHS program, and enable the successful implementation at a local level.
- Understand, maintain, and update compliance record including, but not limited to: SDS (Safety Data Sheets), Worker’s Compensation, and OSHA, while keeping management abreast of this information and working with external consultants as necessary.
- Lead/participate in investigations and recommend actions to address safety, regulatory, and licensing considerations for future business activities.
- Develop policies, procedures, and protocols to maintain compliance and drive continuous improvement in the local safety culture.
- Evaluate the environmental health and safety programs and update to comply with standards, as needed.
- Monitor and uphold employee health and safety by leading the Employee Health & Safety (EHS) Committee.
- Provide site managers with advice and assistance regarding their obligations under new and existing environmental, health and safety regulations.
- Partner with site leadership to ensure they are aware of their specific duties towards employees and non-employees with regards to environmental, health and safety regulations and have identified and provided appropriate training for all employees, including designated EHS Representatives.
- Assist site managers in ensuring that all significant risks to health and safety are identified and assessed and that appropriate risk control measures are implemented and maintained.
- Ensure that accident and incident investigations are timely, effective, remedial actions are completed and lessons are learned and shared across the business.
- Ensure the findings of accident investigations, safety inspections, audits and risk assessments are brought to the attention of management and others who may be affected.
- Partner with site management to ensure regular environmental, health and safety committee meetings are held and that meeting minutes are brought to the attention of all employees and actions are implemented.
- Conduct periodic environmental, health and safety audits of the business against Corporate Standards and Regulatory guidelines.
- Review proposals for new building, plant and equipment to identify potential hazards at the design and contract stages.
- Inspect new and existing plant and equipment, as appropriate, to ensure compliance with Health and safety requirements.
- Partner with Human Resources, Occupational Health Specialists, Engineering and Production and other parties as required, ensuring that the business is free from risks to the environment, health and safety.
- Four year degree or equivalent experience in related discipline plus applicable training.
- Working knowledge of regulatory requirements, strong interpersonal and communication skills, general math and computer skills, and ability to provide solutions through suggestions for process improvement.
- Broad knowledge of Safety, Health and Environmental legislation
- 3+ years’ experience of managing Environmental, Health and Safety in a manufacturing and laboratory environment. Strong experience in driving a safety culture.
- Experience of implementing best practices, policies, procedures and process across different sites, ensuring consistency in application where appropriate.
- Able to deliver training to all levels across the organization.
- Able to communicate, influence and work at all levels across the organization.